Friday, November 16, 2007

THANKSGIVING PROGRAM

When Dorothy was undergoing rehabilitation at a nursing facility in Davenport, FL., I was called into a meeting with the administrative staff. The purpose of the meeting was to advise me that they thought Dorothy was expressing a desire to die, and go to her heavenly home. She was saying, “I want to go home”. The staff thought I should know this and try to determine just what she meant by the statement. They advised me that I should confront her with the possibility that she was not really talking about Grand Rapids or Haines City, FL, rather death. They felt I should let her know that I would not be unhappy with her if it was her wish to leave, that I should encourage her if that was what she wanted. Not being knowledgeable about such matters, I called my pastor Bob Korneef and told him about my encounter with the staff. He said by all means I should do just what they said. Their advice was absolutely correct. It shouldn’t be regarded as a morbid subject. I should have no qualms about such a discussion. The very next day I brought the subject up with her. I asked her, “ what home are you talking about when you say you want to go home?, are you saying you are ready to die?” She said, “oh no, I want at least five more years of life. I want to see Courteney graduate from high school, and I want to see Claire when she enters elementary school”. Well, that wasn’t God’s plan.

Yesterday I was invited to Claire’s school to see her perform with her kindergarten class in a Thanksgiving program. First of all, the program was outstanding. Those little kids had memorized a ton of songs, 13 in all, they recited by memory Psalm 100. Each one was handed the mike and said what they give thanks for this thanksgiving. Additionally, Claire gave a little speech.

I felt a little guilty that I could have the pleasure of attending the program, and Dorothy couldn’t. She would have really loved it. Some people would say, “she was watching in heaven”. Well, I don’t know about that! I do know that watching it here on earth would have been a wonderful experience for her.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I wish she could have seen it. She would have gotten a kick out of all of those kids.

Barb said...

I'm sure Mom would have enjoyed the concert immensely; you just had to enjoy it for two....as you obviously did.